Thursday, February 3, 2011

Pumpkin Bread

For each new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends,
For everything Thy goodness sends.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson


I was recently reminded by an aquaintance that it is a very good thing to feed my chickens flax seeds (for the Omega 3's of course!).  I had forgotten all about that, so after an expedition to the store to purchase some flax I felt like doing some baking.  Here is what came of the urge, a new recipe I had not previously tried but have to say it is, hands down, the best quick bread I have had, maybe ever.  I imagine you can use any squash for this but I stuck to pumpkin for the flavor and because it is what I had in the pantry. (My suggestion is to double the recipe.)

Pumpkin Bread, adapted from William Sonoma Thanksgiving Entertaining

1 1/4 c flour
1/3 c cornmeal
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamin
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 large eggs
1-1 1/4c sugar
1/3 c olive oil or buter melted
1/3 c plain whole milk yogurt
1 c pumpkin puree
1 c raisons (optional)
flax seeds and butter to line botom of pan

Preheat oven to 350.  Butter pan.
In a large bowl whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking soda, salt, cinnamin, ginger, and cloves. 
In a seperate bowl combine eggs, sugar, oil or butter, yogurt, and pumpkin.  Beat until smooth, about 1 minute.  Stir in raisons.  Stir in dry ingredients being careful not to over mix.
Melt some butter and pour onto bottom of the pan then sprinkle with flax seeds.  The flax seeds make a yummy crust on the bottom.  Pour in batter and bake until knife or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.  Cool and Enjoy!











2 comments:

  1. like idea of flax for the chickens. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really love it! My kids like to watch the chickens gobble the flax down:). I noticed the shells are harder since we started feeding the flax too, but it could totally be from something else since they are free ranging.

    ReplyDelete