Friday, January 7, 2011

DIY Friday

'Tis an old deserted homestead
On the outskirts of the town,
Where the roof is all moss-covered,
And the walls are tumbling down;
But around that little cottage
Do my brightest mem'ries cling,
For 'twas there I spent the moments
Of my youth, life's happy spring.
 -Paul Lawrence Dunbar

homemade citrus soap

Due to the need for frugality around here and of course my non-stop need to be making something, I decided to try my hand at homemade laundy soap.  I already have a whole lot of bar soap from the soapmaking extravagana a few months ago so I found this recipe online.  If you think you don't have time to do this you are wrong.  It's ridiculously easy, you just have to aqcuire something called washing soda, which I bought at my local conventional supermarket. 



All Natural Homemade Laundry Soap
hot h2o
1 bar soap
1 cup washing soda
essential oil

-grate the soap and add to a large sauce pan, cover with hot h2o and whisk until dissolved
-fill a bucket or very large bowl with 2.5 gallons of hot h20, add disolved soap and stir well
-add washing soda, stir well until disolved
-cool and add 15-20 drops essential oil of your choice
(* the recipe says that the detergent will gel up after it cools)
I made 1.5 x the recipe and it filled 2 of my extra large Ecos laundry soap containers (6.21 liters each), all for around $2.00 and a half an hour of my time. 
Not bad at all.  


No comments:

Post a Comment